Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 60-Who are you fighting?

I promise I'm going to post calorie counts soon-I've been keeping up with them, and will type them up soon. But I wanted to take a moment to write about something that I've been thinking about this week. Obviously I didn't do too well last week, and decided to evaluate why I'm doing this, why I want to lose weight, in order to motivate myself to keep at it.

Most of you should know by now that I'm addicted to watching The Biggest Loser. Though the show isn't realistic (hell, what reality TV show IS realistic?) but it brings up some good points. The two new trainers this season focus a lot on boxing, and in one episode, they ask the contestant Deni who she is fighting, to which she replies, "Dummy Deni," a cruel nickname she had growing up. This really resonated with me this week, especially when running. Now, anyone who knows me can tell you for the longest time, I hated running, and frankly, I don't look like a runner. In the decision to take control of my weight, I decided I wanted to run a 5K, and started the C25K training program. There are days when I'm on the treadmill and I want to stop running. Then I remember Deni, fighting "Dummy Deni" and I remember who I'm fighting. I'm fighting "Katelyn Fat-tanasio" from kindergarten; I'm fighting the girl who got chased around the playground in 5th grade by a group of boys who had decided I was fat because I was full of air and they needed to "pop" me; I'm fighting the girl who was told "Go home, Hefer!" when out with my friends in Colorado; I'm fighting the girl who was called a whale when walking down the street in Albuquerque; I'm fighting "Fat Kat," a lovely (and let me tell you, SO CREATIVE) nickname given to me by my ex's girlfriend several months back. I'm fighting FOR me. I'm fighting against everyone who put me down, who told me I couldn't do it-INCLUDING myself. So I pop my headphones in, crank up the metal music, and imagine them-and the more I do, the harder I run. Thinking about these things this week has really helped me get past the funk, and make me want to work harder, and continue to fight for who I am and who I want to be, because I have the ability to do it.

That's my thoughts for now. Maybe I'll post some days calorie counts during class today.

Oh, and as a note for those of you in the DC area, I'm going to be interviewed by Fox 5 tomorrow for being one of the more active users of Nexercise. I'll post more details on Facebook or Twitter so you can check me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment