Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 53

Weigh-in: 228.0
BMI: 34.7
Weight loss this week: 2.3 lbs.
Weight loss since starting this blog: 21.0 lbs.
Total weight loss since my highest point: 32.0 lbs.

WOW! Even after a not-so-good weekend, I'm really happy to see I lost weight this week! I think by upping the amount of cardio I've been doing, coupled with giving up soda has really helped me.

Getting below 230 is a big deal for me. The last time I was below 230 was my freshman year of college. When I began college, I weighed 180, and by the end of my first year, I was 230. There were a lot of reasons for this gain, but the primary ones were that I started drinking alcohol, I was eating at the school cafeteria, I was eating out a lot, and I wasn't exercising. All this coupled with the fact that I was dealing with the loss of my father is what really put on the weight. I subsequently gained another 30 lbs. over the course of the next 3 years of bad relationships, lack of physical activity, and other not so fantastic times.

I know I keep saying this over and over, but it's a theme that keeps arising in blogs I'm reading, podcasts I've listened to, and just in general. You have to find the motivation to do this within. If *YOU* are not ready to take control of the situation and lose weight, you won't-or you will, and you won't keep it off. People keep asking me what my secret is, and there really isn't one. Everyone knows they need to count calories and exercise-EVERYONE. But you have to be willing to do it. There is no overnight cure, no magic pill, no one person who can make you do the things you have to do. The motivation has to come from within. Yes, you can have people inspire you-I know I look to a lot of people for inspiration on this journey: my cousin Krista, my friend Rachel, watching The Biggest Loser, reading blogs of people on similar journeys, talking with people on Twitter about our journeys, just to name a few; and I know several people have told me I'm inspiring them as well: Lindsey, Sarah, JP, and Liz have all started blogging about their fitness journeys since I've started mine, my mom has started counting her calories and exercising. Inspiration is great-it's that extra push you have when things get hard. But by the same token, no one can motivate you to DO anything. YOU have to be willing to do it. You will have support along the way, but inevitably it comes down to you. This is something I've figured out this time around. Rather than some fad diet to lose a bunch of weight to get a guy, get attention, etc. this is something I'm doing because *I* want to do it for ME. I want to be healthy, and I want to live the best life I can. And while I do look for inspiration, I am ultimately the only one who can motivate myself to keep this up.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Pics from this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment