Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 6

Well, we're almost up to a week now. Yesterday was a bit rough. Though I stayed within my daily limit for calories, some of the things I ate (fish tacos, half a burger) were just unhealthy. So why did I eat them? For one, they're something that's familiar. I've gotten used to going out for karaoke every Wednesday night and when I get there ordering a beer and a half price Blue Cheese Burger with fries and ranch. Last night I still went to karaoke, ordered a vodka and Diet Coke, a plain burger (which I cut in half and from which I removed the bun), and opted for a salad instead of fries. However, I still ended up using ranch for the salad, and after eating the burger, felt slightly sick to my stomach, at which point I opted to drink water for the rest of the night. The other reason I ate these "comfort foods" is because yesterday is what would have been the 1 year anniversary of me and my ex. I realized I was "emotional eating." This has always been something I've done and always been a hang-up I've had when trying to eat healthy. As much of a cliche as it may be, it's easier to drown my emotions in a tub of ice cream or a bottle of beer than to talk about things. I'm getting better about it, but I recognize it's one of the hurdles I'm going to come up against during this journey. However, I think it's going to be a good experience for me to find healthier outlets for negative emotions, rather than food.

Other than that, things seem to be on track. The weather in Maryland is gorgeous today (it's supposed to get up to around 66) so my boyfriend and I are going hiking this afternoon-a nice change from our usual ritual of sitting on the couch watching movies. Weigh-in and pictures on Saturday. Wish me luck!

-Katelyn

Breakfast:
1 c. Light & Fit Vanilla Yogurt (110 calories)
1/8 c. granola (57.5 calories)

Lunch:
6 in. Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki (380 calories)
1 Light & Fit Vanilla Yogurt (60 calories)

Snack:
100 Calorie Pack Chips Ahoy (100 calories)

Dinner: Red Lobster
Broccoli (22.5 calories)
Cheddar Bay Biscuit (150 calories)
Rice Pilaf (70 calories)
Peach Bourbon BBQ Shrimp and Scallops *w/o bacon and onion rings* (200 calories)
Garden Salad (90 calories)
Vinaigrette-2 Tbs (50 calories)

Snack:
Sugar Free Ice Cream Bar (160 calories)

Total calories for the day: 1,450

Exercise:
Biking 15 minutes (-296 calories)
Walking 20 minutes (-74 calories)
Hiking 10 minutes (-113 calories)
Wii Fit 24 minutes (-146 calories)

2 comments:

  1. Good job Katelyn! Don't feel too badly about the emotional eating. That you've realized you do it is a great step forward. Now you just have to stay aware of it. I do this same thing.

    As for the ranch dressing, I read an article the other day (and I wish I could find the link right now, but I can't!) that said you need to allow yourself full fat dressings and things like that occasionally because you need the fat in your diet. It sounds strange, but it's true. If I find the link again I'll send it to you.

    Hang in there! And keep up the positive work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck Katelyn! Keep going one day at a time, I am predicting a loss for Saturday, I look forward to it :)
    and it's a great idea to "find healthier outlets for negative emotions, rather than food." and what I found to go along with that is to find healthier ways to nurture myself instead of food, what else do you like to do to comfort yourself? I like to take a bath, or even a shower (you cant eat in the shower!) read a book, a magazine I could go on and on, thank you for doing this blog, it's actually helping me along too. I still have 30 lbs to go and have been on pause for several months, this just might kick me back in gear!

    ReplyDelete